Thursday, January 29, 2009

Daring Bakers: Tuiles



Raspberry Blackout Cake w. Chocolate Dipped Lemon Tuiles


This month's challenge is brought to us by Karen of Bake My Day and Zorra of 1x umruehren bitte aka Kochtopf. They have chosen Tuiles from The Chocolate Book by Angélique Schmeink and Nougatine and Chocolate Tuiles from Michel Roux.

I was very excited to see that Tuiles were this months challenge. I've had many chances in the past to play around with them for work and school. In school I was in charge of making a cookie bowl to fill with delicious ice creams for our final Friday Night Dinner. For another dinner I was "lucky" to be chosen to make pumpkin puree tuiles shaped like cylinders that if I remember correctly were going to be holding a candle. The pumpkin tuiles were obnoxious to make but a great learning lesson.

For this challenge I made the Lemon Tuiles from the Millennium Cookbook. Originally I wanted to shape them into cannoli's and fill them with a light coconut and chocolate chip cream. Then I got asked to make a cake to celebrate our friends birthday. I though it would be great to make the filled "cannoli" tuiles smaller to put them as decoration on the cake. As you can see above that didn't happen. The batter for the Lemon Tuiles was too thick to shape how I wanted. After many tries and variations I gave up and made flat ones and semi rounded ones which I dipped in chocolate and stuck on the cake as decoration.

I was very very pleased with the overall effect that the chocolate dipped cookies gave to the cake. It is probably my favorite looking cake that I've ever made.

36 comments:

Kelly said...

Even though you may not have gotten the texture on the tuilles that you wanted, the cake looks really delicious. Nice job.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Looks perfect to me!! Love it.

By the way, ANTM will be back soon :-)

Sara said...

Mmmm, everything looks delicious...thank cake looks fabulous!

Renee said...

Your cake looks beautiful!

Anonymous said...

They look great, and your cake looks so good!

Rebecca said...

It was all the chocolate in your photo that drew me to your post. Come for the chocolate, stay for the great tuiles!

Good job!

hexe said...

I like the color contrast between the tuiles and the chocolate.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Mmm, I"m gonna have to try that Millenium recipe next, your tuiles look perfect. Especially perched atop that chocolate cake.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Nice way of using your tuiles! That cake looks mighty scrumptious!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

Excellent job!

aTxVegn said...

I made that recipe too and mine didn't want to be shaped either. They are good lemon cookies though!

Anonymous said...

HELLOO chocolate! The heck with the tuile texture, they still go well with that yummy chocolate cake! Awesome job!

Lauren said...

Mmm, the tuiles look great! Lemon flavor sounds great, and chocolate can never be bad =D!

minisuperbias said...

so creative!!! sounds yummy!

Anonymous said...

wow that picture looks so yummy :-)!!

Netts Nook said...

Your cake it perfect I'm jealous you must be a pro. Way to go....

Dragon said...

Mmmmm chocolate. Great job on this month's challenge.

Jo said...

Choc dipped lemon tuiles .. sounds absolutely delicious. Great job!

Catherine Weber said...

I blame the recipe, because I made those, too, and they were persnicketty. They tore very easily for me, and overbrowned otherwise.

Unknown said...

My favorite chocolate cake frosting has a little lemon juice in it and it just adds so much dimension - I imagine your flavor combo was great. And the tuiles look very happy swimming in chocolate!

veggievixen said...

oh my god, that is to die for. i bet it tastes amazing too.

Anonymous said...

I think everything looks totally delicious! LOVE the cake - it's beautiful with the tuiles as decoration!!

chef_d said...

So drool-worthy!!!

MeloMeals said...

Just lovely!

Chou said...

Oh, this cake looks fabulous. Lucky friends!

BC said...

Ohhh, I want to scoop up the chocolate with one of the tuiles. Did anyone scoop?

JENNA said...

No one scooped.

They were all too busy watching LOST so they just scarfed it down.

The tuiles also softened a bit while waiting to be served.

bazu said...

I want to marry that cake. zomg.

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

zounds, lemon tulles! What a perfect topper for such a cake!

panda with cookie said...

Let there be cake!

Anonymous said...

Lovely tuiles, and what a great idea to decorate a cake with them! Great job on the challenge. :)

zlamushka said...

I have been vegan for 2 years and I know sometimes I would kill for a rich creamy chocolate cake :-) that is probably why my will broke along the way :-( now after two years of crap diet, I am re-living my vegan journey again with my 21-day vegan challenge, as from what I was told, it takes three weeks to change one´s habits....

I ll be back for more inspiration :-)

Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said...

that. looks. so. goooood.

and the dumplings in your previous post just made me salivate big time after exclaiming to my husband, 'dude. i am so not hungry'.

;)

The Voracious Vegan said...

What an AMAZING cake! Gorgeous, simply gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

That cake looks awesome! I could go for a nice big slice for breakfast!

Frisco divorce attorney said...

This looks incredibly delish!!!